Check Engine Light Guide
Mercedes Check Engine Light Guide
You're driving around Temecula with your friends, enjoying the beautiful summer weather, then a check engine light alert pops up on your dashboard. Your trip and joy may be short-lived if the alert is due to a significant issue that requires attention as soon as possible. Yet again, the alert may be due to a minor issue that you can fix easily and enjoy your day's routine. Whatever the problem may be, you need to sort it out soon to avoid decreased performance and damaging your powertrain components.
The check engine light alert may indicate a problem with the engine management system, the fuel injection system, the exhaust system, the ignition system, or the fuel system. Any of these problems might trigger the engine to enter emergency mode. Mercedes Benz of Temecula's team highlights why your check engine light may be on and how to read what the lights may be indicating. It will help you analyze what the alert means and act accordingly to avoid damaging your drivetrain parts and overall road safety.
How Check Engine Lights Alerts May Appear on the Dashboard
Check engine lights are a yellow or orange outline of an engine that appears on your dashboard's indicator section. The lights can appear in different intervals to indicate the severity of the situation under the hood of your Mercedes-Benz. Here are some of the ways the check engine light may appear:
- Occasional check engine light alerts: When the check engine lights turn on occasionally and there is a difference in your vehicle's performance, there may be an engine misfire. Engine misfires happen when one or more cylinders don't produce power. You can take your vehicle to a dealership so that technicians resolve the issue.
- The check engine light is constantly on: Constant check engine light alerts can indicate that something is off, but it isn't an urgent matter. It can alert you of a minor issue such as a loose gas cap which you can fix by tightening it. When fuel escapes from the fuel tank, it increases carbon emissions and triggers the check engine light.
- Check engine light is on, and you can detect decreased performance: When this happens, your vehicle automatically switches to “limp-mode” which prevents any additional damage to your engine. Your vehicle may go into limp mode if your engine has an issue, such as a broken wire. •
- Blinking check engine light alert while driving: A blinking check engine alert may indicate a major issue like a failing catalytic converter. When this happens, drive to a dealership if you're close by or pull over and call our pickup and delivery service if you are far from the dealership.
Common Causes for a Check Engine Light Alert
Here are different reasons why you may get check engine light notifications on your dashboard:
- Defective or missing gas cap: If your gas cap is wobbly, broken, or missing, it triggers the check engine light because your vehicle is emitting pollutants beyond the set threshold. A wobbly or missing gas cap can reduce fuel force and let fuel vapors escape. It may reduce fuel efficiency and increase gas flow from the exhaust.
- Faulty catalytic converter: It's possible for your catalytic converter to get blocked with material, particularly in higher mileage vehicles. Catalytic converters are an important part of the emissions system because they filter harmful carbon monoxide. When the catalytic converter is deteriorating in performance, it can affect the fuel efficiency and your vehicle's performance.
- Old spark plugs: To power your vehicle, spark plugs produce an electrical spark that initiates combustion with the air-and-fuel mixture in the cylinder. Wear and tear to your spark plugs or spark plug wires is inevitable with time and continued use. Damaged spark plugs may cause an engine to backfire, which reduces its performance and fuel economy.
- Defective Oxygen Sensor: The oxygen sensor delivers essential air-fuel combination data to the Engine Control Unit (ECU). If the oxygen sensor is defective, it may trigger your vehicle's system to provide the engine with excessive or minimal fuel. Minimal fuel in the engine may cause it to fail, and an engine with an excessive amount of fuel can generate an extreme amount of smoke and odor.
- Damaged airflow sensor: The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor can fail when left open to polluted air or air that is full of particles. Similar to oxygen sensors, the MAF sensor gauges the amount of air getting into the engine and helps guarantee the proper air-fuel combination. When polluted air damages the MAF, it may cause your engine to backfire or poor fuel efficiency. A damaged MAF can also affect your vehicle's functioning and possibly cause serious damage to your engine.
Addressing any issues that may cause your check engine light alert to turn on is crucial for your overall safety and the safety of other drivers. Before heading to a dealership, you can first try to determine if the lights are due to an issue such as a loose or missing gas cap.
You can tighten the gas cap if it is loose and replace it immediately if it is missing. Afterward, see if the check engine light alert stops appearing on the dashboard indicator. If the lights are still on, you can take your vehicle to a dealership for a diagnostic service.
Schedule Your Check Engine Light Assessment at Mercedes Benz of Temecula, California
If you're looking for a dealership around Temecula, California, you can contact or visit Mercedes Benz of Temecula, and our technicians will check on any malfunctions on your vehicle. They can conduct the needed service by using a code reader to determine what engine part requires repair or fixing. If the issue is a damaged spark plug or an accessible sensor, you can purchase its replacement from the dealership and a technician can help you fix it on your vehicle.
All parts available at Mercedes-Benz of Temecula are Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts. Therefore, they're authentic, durable, and high quality, ensuring that your vehicle attains optimal performance as you drive around Temecula. You can enjoy a comfortable and luxurious customer lounge or use alternative transportation methods while our technicians fix your vehicle. If your engine fails on the road you can call us for our pickup and delivery services too.